Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Saying no to foods with faces

So, I want to become a vegan. Why? Well my number one reason is because the thought of cows, and other animals, being murdered is way too sad. Aside from no longer wanting to take part in animal murders, I think there are some great health benefits that come along with a vegan diet. So I figured why not blog about attempting this transformation. I'm eager to learn a lot and I plan on sharing it with you.

If you're going to eat meats or other animal products you at least owe it to the animal to look at his or her face before it's led into the death-maze. I will now think of the face my food once had. When I think about cutting into a juicy steak I will now see his former big, black eyes and soft, furry face. I will think about the unwanted, and not to mention unfashionable, earring he gets as a baby, labeling him with a number, not a name. I will think about him growing up and being fed for a sole purpose, to be shot in the head and eaten for dinner.

Knowing that this change won't be easy I have purchased an arsenal of books from Amazon that should arrive sometime next week to get me started on my cruelty-free journey. As I read and experiment through these books I will share what I have learned. I will be trying some vegan recipes and giving you my two cents on how it really tastes and how much it cost. My hope is to make the switch and possibly encourage others to do so by showing you, if I can do it then so can you.

The books I will be using are:
Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World by Kathy Freston

The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes by Lindsay S. Nixon

The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life: Cruelty-Free Crafts, Recipes, Beauty Secrets and More by Melisser Elliott

Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook: Crazy Delicious Recipes that Are Good to the Earth and Great for Your Bod by Kim Barnouin

Vegan's Daily Companion: 365 Days of Inspiration for Cooking, Eating, and Living Compassionately by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

I hope that you will check in to see how my vegan-intervention is going from time to time. I will be 100% honest with my findings and struggles. In the mean time take a look at this face and ask yourself if his death is truly something you're completely okay with.



And also check out this story. I will think of Molly B and her courage everyday. (click on the line below)
Cow that escaped slaughterhouse has new adventure

2 comments:

  1. if i didnt eat it then it would be hunted by another prey in the wild and ripped apart and eaten alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ever watched a nature programme? 100% natural to eat meat.

    ReplyDelete